Thursday, June 20, 2013

Whatever it Takes...

"Success doesn't come to you... you go to it." ~ Marva Collins

Remember when I had my anaphylactic shock episode back in March? In a previous post I talked about how it threw off my period, wherein I thought I had ovulated in that month, but I never had a period. 

But I had also explained that my doctors told me that the high dose of steroids that were given to me were most likely the reason as to why I didn't have my period.

Later, I had written a post telling of my worry about being completely thrown off as to where I was in my cycle. I didn't have any idea when I was actually going to have another period. 

I had felt like I ovulated in April, but, as I told my doctor, I thought that I should have had my period already, and yet it hadn't come. 

Anyway, as I told you, my doctor had given me and rx for both progesterone pills and progesterone cream. At that Thursday appointment she had said that if my period didn't start by the upcoming Monday night to start the pills.

Well, as you may recall in that post, My Cycle, I had not wanted to take the pill. To me that would mean that I wasn't having normal cycles still and I wanted to be having normal cycles!!! 

I wrote in that post that I had heard a "voice" telling me not to take the pill, to wait - that I would have my period start normally. I listened to the voice, didn't take the pill, and my period started the next morning.

I felt really joyful about my period starting naturally. That's what I wanted, and that's what I got.

But then something out of the norm happened. On day 13-16 I had brown discharge. It was as if I was having a period, but it wasn't normal - in days or in color! So, I was completely confused (and bummed!) by that turn of events.

My doctors' still felt that the high dose of steroids I was given were having an impact on how my hormones were working, and still "throwing things off," but it didn't help me in feeling any less frustrated.

Dr. M. has been checking my hormone levels regularly so she could see that my estrogen was good, my FSH was good, but she felt like my progesterone was low. Since my progesterone was low she wanted me to start the progesterone cream, which I did. And exactly 28 days from the previous day 13 "period" I had a "normal" period.

You have to remember, my general practice doctor, Dr. M., conceived her last child at age 45 and had him when she was 46 years old. So, as she told me, she has a lot of knowledge from her own personal experience in knowing how to "work" the fertility hormone system. After all, she had four or five miscarriages before she got herself on the right regime and had her healthy child.

In other words, I trust Dr. M. If she feels like I'm still "in the game," then I know I'm still "in the game!" And she does feel like I'm still in the game!

But she also feels that I will probably have to continue using the progesterone cream from here on out. 

Hearing that news was disappointing, but if it is going to help me ovulate, have that sperm reach, and fertilize, that healthy little egg, let me have a healthy pregnancy, and deliver a healthy baby or babies, then I'm going to do whatever it takes! 

I truly feel like I'm blessed to have Dr. M. be so personally insightful on exactly what needs to be done to best help my hormone levels. I do believe she can get them to be at the levels they need to be at to achieve my dream. 

After all, Dr.M. has gone through a similar (albeit, at a younger age) situation and come out of it with the child she so desperately wanted. I think of it as being part of God's miracle plan for me. And I'm thankful that I dream in miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment