Saturday, June 15, 2013

Glass Half Full

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." ~ Walt Disney

I had mentioned in an earlier post that my surgical wound got infected and my G.P. doctor put me on a prescription of Keflex, a strong enough antibiotic to heal the infection. I started the medicine June 4th and I didn't have my follow-up/post-op appointment with my surgeon until June 11th.

By the time I saw the surgeon the infection was pretty much healed. I did show her close up photos of the wound so that she could see that there was definitely an infection going on. And she did see that, was glad that I had gotten on the antibiotics, and was now doing well.

I had wondered why I got an infection there in the first place, so that was one of the first questions I asked of her. I wondered if I had done anything to cause the infection, such as lifting too much, etc., or what else could have allowed it to happen.

She told me that I had not done anything to cause the infection. She said, "Only 1% of surgical cuts develop an infection. So that means 99% of the people don't get an infection." That's what she told me. I have no idea if those are accurate statistics, but it doesn't matter, she is a surgeon and she quoted those numbers from her surgical experience. Straight from the surgeon's mouth: only 1% of people get a surgical infection, and 99% of people do not get a surgical infection, after surgery.

So, I'm going to ask you a question and this is a test! It is a test to see how well you know me. And I mean really know me. If you get the question wrong, there is no penalty! If you get the question right, there is no prize! And really, it's a tough question because it is asking you to think like I think. So, really I'm not sure if anyone can answer the question correctly; it's hard enough to understand oneself, much less another! Nevertheless, here goes - the question:

What do you think my first thought was when I heard the surgeon tell me that I was in a group of 1% out of hundred who got an infection as a negative result after surgery?

I'll give you a minute to consider your answer; to take a moment and try to think like I think....

Okay, times up.

The answer to the question of, what was the first thought I had after my surgeon told me that I was in a group of 1% out of hundred who got an infection as a negative result after surgery was:

OMG!!! I can not believe that I am in the 1% out of a hundred! Granted it would seem a negative position to be in, but that's not what my mind thought. My mind immediately said, "L. if you can be in the 1% of people out of hundred for some negative thing, you can be in the 1% out of hundred for some  positive thing!" And that 1% positive thing is getting pregnant at my age!

Really, I kid you not, I was ecstatic. To me, believe it or not, it was like a sign.

I can remember back in July of 2009 when I talked to the doctor in Chicago about freezing my eggs and he told me that there was only a 1% chance that I would get pregnant. And my immediate response back to him was, "I'm going to be in that 1%!"

So, yeah, as crazy as it may seem to you,  I felt really kinda lucky; lucky that I now had positive verification that I could actually be unique enough to be one in a hundred - it didn't matter to me that it was not a good thing in this particular instance - to me it was positive; it was all about the glass being half full!

No comments:

Post a Comment