Monday, June 24, 2013

More, Please

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." ~ Leo Buscaglia

How often does it happen when you hear something you consider to be a nice compliment at the beginning of your day, and by the end of the day you receive an even bigger and better compliment to cap things off?

Today was the day that happened for me!

I probably shouldn't be so giddy over it - making way more out of it than it really is - but I can't help it... it was compliment! It was two compliments! In the end it was even more! And they all made me feel happy.

I went to get my eyes checked this morning and when the Optometrist's assistant was beginning the appointment with me she first asked how old I was. Lately, when people ask me that question - how old are you? - I ask them, "How old do you think I am?"

Of course, most of the time you have to know that they will say a lower answer than may be in their mind so as not to offend. Anyway, the assistant answered my question by telling me, "I think you're 35." So, taking into account the possibility of her "generosity factor," (although she assured me that is what she truly thought) I added another five years and I still came out having someone think I was 40 years old! Sweet, I thought, and I felt the compulsion to text my sister my "good" news! Hahaha!!!

Well, later in the day, at noon, I went to the appointment I had scheduled with my hypnotist/counselor, Z. (OMG, Z. is so amazingly wonderful I'll have to write solely about her in another post!) and when I rang the bell (Z.'s office is in her home) I was quite surprised when her husband answered the door. She had mentioned her husband, so I knew she had one. In fact, I even knew that he was Italian, but I had been to her house five times so far and had never once heard or seen anything of him.

I told him I was there for my appointment with Z. and he told me that I must have the wrong time as she always has something scheduled elsewhere at that time. I looked through my purse and found my pocket calendar and yes, indeed, I had come at the wrong time. I had written in my calendar my appointment was at 2:00 PM. I apologized and told him I would be back later.

I only live about five or six minutes away so it was no real inconvenience. I spent the time before going back at 2:00 to get together a few pieces of artwork I wanted to give to Z.

And then, I arrived back at Z.'s house, promptly at 2:00 PM, rang the bell, the door opened, and it was Z.'s husband once again! He tells me Z. will be home momentarily, motions for me to take a seat in the parlor ((Z.'s  home - is a huge, beautiful old Victorian, with lovely, floor-to-ceiling dark wood, and beautiful, old, handwoven Middle Eastern-type rugs though out both the downstairs - which I pass by on my way to the upstairs - stairs that lead up to where she has her office) and asks me if I need anything. I tell him, thank you for asking, but no, I will be fine. And he leaves.

Within minutes Z. arrives and she tells me that our appointment is not for 2:00 PM, but rather 3:00. She says she could do it then, but because I live so close, I just tell her that it is not a problem, that I will be back in an hour, and I leave.

Wow, I am really on a roll of completely messing up this appointment (but with all the appointments I have it isn't at all surprising that I should make mistakes).

Needless to say, I go back for the third time at 3:00 PM, ring the bell, the door opens and, yay, it's Z.!

As I follow Z. up the staircase she turns back to me and says, "I asked my husband how old he thought you were." And I responded, "How old did he say?" "23," she replied.

By that point we were up to her office and I tell her how funny it was that someone in the morning had told me I looked 35 and I was pleased by that, but having someone think I was 23 made my day! (Have I told you that my boss thinks I'm 32 - he told me he wanted to say 28, but he thought I was too wise for 28 - and his assistant, whom I've also worked with for a year now, thinks I'm 28! And the amazing thing is, my boss has a 25 year old daughter, and his assistant is 40 years old herself!)

Anyway, after the counseling part of my session and before the hypnosis part started, I told Z. that I was curious as to why she asked her husband how old I was. She told me that she thinks her husband is very perceptive and "attuned" to people, that he "reads" people well. So, she said, she first asked him what his impression of me was, what his perception regarding me was? And Z. told me that he had thought two things: that I had both a child-like quality about me and that I was wise (which Z. said, she, too believes to be true). That's when, she said to me, she asked him, "Well, how old do you think she is?" And he had replied, "23."

I know I needed that! It was like a sign to have both people, on the same day, say they thought I looked much younger than I am. And the reason is because C. may be coming home within the next month or so! And, as you know, C. is much younger than I am.

I think I had been trying to get myself to be open to C. and my age difference (it seems to be much more of a block for me than for him!), that I was subconsciously (even consciously!) doubting how we could possibly work out - that is if we ever do come together... though I am planning for the eventuality that we will! And I guess I just feel that today was an affirmation that I don't have to have doubts about that - about my age versus his - that people won't view me as his freak'n mother! That, yes, people seeing us out will obviously know that I am older, but that they won't have any idea that I am a great deal older than he is... 

Knowing that C. is younger, but having virtually no child-like quality about him (he wants to have such a thing, but his seriousness seldom allows for it!) and I am older, but do have that ability to be young-at-heart, so child-like curious and imaginative and open, I think does give me the belief that it is possible that he and I could someday be an "us."

Afternote: At the end of my appointment with Z. I asked her why she felt her husband thought I had a child-like quality about me, and why he had thought I was wise? And she told me that it wasn't just that I looked much younger than my age, but that I had the "essence" of being much younger; of having the capacity to feel, and see, life, and the world around me, in a different way, which was unique and good. And she said to me that I was wise; that I was very thoughtful in my thinking, that I was smart, and alluded that I seemed to "know" things beyond my years. 

It's funny, well, not funny, but rather, interesting, because I needed to hear what she she thought it was that her husband had perceived, and what her insight about it was, because often there is no worse enemy of myself than me. I needed to have that affirmation, too. I needed to hear another compliment, especially from somebody "outside looking in." 

Yes, I'd say that today started off by hearing something nice from a stranger, and ended up by hearing something even nicer from another stranger, Z.'s husband. Today was a good day! More, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment