Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Long Hello

"Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them."
John Updike

Well, as you know from my previous post, C. is on his way back here, but he was going to be routed through two different countries and would be working his way home. 

As he wrote: 

schedule past weekend

FROM: C.
TO: L.

Monday, June 4, 2012 10:14 PM
DOD LINK

L., YES, YES, I'm scheduled to depart Saturday or Sunday, flying to _______, remaining there for several days after June 11, arriving _______ June 14.  Uncertain exactly how long in ________, but probably departing about June 22, staying over in DC for a couple of days, June 25-26, ETA_________*about June 28/29.  What's your schedule like for the days following?  If you can break free I'll take some leave for several days if that would be desired.  :-) 

Yrs, C. 

*the town where we both live

He later wrote:

Wednesday
     
From: C
To: L 

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:50 AM
DOD LINK

L., I need to caution you that the travel schedule I gave you a couple of days ago is very tentative and subject to slippage ... so it is not to be counted on with any degree of finality.  Second, the telephone system in_______ is like a tinker-toy hook-up, subject to long service delays and I'm not sure that there is any system for emails like we have been using ... I may not be able to communicate while I am there.  If you don't get any messages from me please do not worry ... it is just the absence of a system.  Just remember the prize at the end.  :-)  

Yrs, C.

On Thursday, June 7th he wrote, "L., I'm detached from _______early Friday morning, and will be in ________ by tomorrow night.  From here on it gets more difficult for us to communicate." Later he said, "I hate to break this contact because I know how frustrating it will be for that time when I cannot sit down and pour out my thoughts to you.  Please keep your messages flowing; they will keep me focused on you."

So, it has now been a week since I last heard from C. and even though he warned me that I would most likely not be hearing from him I think that my head must have been in the clouds because I DID  think that I would here from him by now! Ugh. 

When you've been waiting so long for something and it seems so close, but just out of reach, a week is beginning to feel like a month and the end of June feels like it might as well be next year! 

I know that C. is "out there" somewhere, but wherever it is, he feels very far away. 

Now all I can do is wait and keep faith that a personal "hello" is on its way sooner than later...

No comments:

Post a Comment