Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Same Time, Same Place... Different Year

I'm leavin' on a jet plane don't know when I'll be back again... - John Denver

Well, it's that time of year when I take my mom back to her home state for vacation. My oldest sister also lives there so the plan is to stay with her and her family for a week and then travel to the small property my mom owns for about two weeks and get back to my sisters for the final week. The first week at my mom's place my sister will tag along and that will be a highlight for me: to have her to myself, away from her husband and two teenage kids.

The whole trip will be a nice change of pace for me. As I'm thinking about that, I am reminded that I have not spent one single day or night away from my mom since July of last year! It's not that I wouldn't love to have been able to get away, but for so long with my illness I couldn't do much of anything interesting.

I'm feeling better now, though not normal. I guess I'm at 75% on good days and much less on days when I really feel bad. It all seems so hit or miss as to when/why I feel bad. I am continuing to try different med combos trying to have more better days than not.

On this trip I'm super-psyched because my uncle is giving me one of his season-ticket-holder seats to an NFL football home opener. I'll get to do some serious tailgating. And just the thought of being in a big city, at a stadium, drinking cold beer, surrounded by a ton of guys watching other guys crack heads. Woot! Woot! I can't wait : )

I'll also probably get together with one of my high school friends (the one I mentioned in my reunion post whom I hadn't seen or spoken to in thirty years) who lives there as well. We may hit up a Major League baseball game with her two kids which will be another fun day for me.

I quit eHarmony when my six month subscription was up (I really didn't have much success - nobody that I was attracted to physically for starters. I did correspond with a thirty-four year old guy that was kinda cute who seemed nice. He didn't have any problem with our age difference and I didn't either but I just kinda let it fritter away. He scared me off when he said he wanted to call me on the phone. I'm so good at back and forth bantering in writing I kinda froze up at the idea of what would I actually have to talk about in a call - just call me lame- but I think if I had been really attracted to him I would have jumped right in anwyay so...). But you may remember the tall guy who contacted on eHarmony from a previous post and he lives near the city I'm visiting. I did write him that if he was still interested in getting together to send me his email address, which he did. Now it's just a matter of if I feel like meeting him. I guess right now I don't have much going on so I probably should meet him, right? Gotta get up the courage on that one.

So, like I said, getting out of Dodge (even with my mom in tow) is going to be fun times for me and will be good mentally for her too. Right now, the possibilities of "there" seem better than the possibilities of "here."

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment