Sunday, September 4, 2011

Heartbeat

"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

My heart feels like it is beating out of my chest right now.

I checked Facebook tonight and saw in my newsfeed where a guy, THE GUY, I lost my virginity to twenty years ago (yeah, do the math, that's a story for another post!) became "friends" with a guy whom I randomly met at Mardi Gras* in 1988.

I met the Virgin-taker* in 1991 just as he was about to leave my town on his way to get his M.B.A. When he told me the name of the school, I was like, really, are you kidding? I told him that Mardi Gras guy, who by this time had been living and working in Japan, was coming back to the U.S. to get his M.B.A. at the same school. Virgin-taker looked on his class list and sure enough Mardi Gras name was on it. I had kept in touch with Mardi Gras for three years back in the snail-mail days. I told Virgin-taker he had to look him up when he got to the school, he did, and the next thing I know they became fast friends. That was eighteen years ago! I then lost touch with both of them.

About five years ago I googled Mardi Gras guy and saw that he had an email address so I sent him a message. I found out what he was doing - super-duper successful - and then asked him if he kept in touch with Virgin-taker, he said he didn't.

I was bummed. I really wanted to know what ever happened to Virgin-taker. Even though I was old for being a virgin, I was so young mentally, just really naive for my age (I've always been a late bloomer). I'm not sure I had one interesting thought to say back in those days, whereas now, having lived life and come (somewhat) out of my shell, I feel confident that I'm interesting; that I have interesting things to talk about, etc.

A year ago, I got a Facebook friend request from Mardi Gras (guess my email address came up in his contacts list) and of course I accepted.

Stalker that I am, over the years I had tried to find Virgin-taker without much luck - he went by his middle name when I knew him and I couldn't remember what his first name was. Fast forward a few months ago and I finally was able to locate him on Facebook. I stalkishly checked out his FB page, but never "friended" him. I just didn't have it in me. I mean we were never more than a few months sex partners. But I *really* wished that somehow he would end up becoming friends with Mardi Gras, find that I too was friends with him, then send me a friend request (not wishing for too much as usual). Then tonight comes, and like I said, I read my newsfeed and it said "Mardi Gras is now friends with Virgin-taker and three other people."

Of course I thought maybe sometime Virgin-taker will be on FB and he'll see my name in the upper right-hand corner of the page listing me as a mutual friend of Mardi Gras and then he'd send me a friend request. One, watched-movie later, and I was like, fuck it, I'm just going to send Virgin-taker a message. So, with my heart beating out of my chest (I'm still so high school!) I sent him this note: Hey Virgin-taker. Saw in my news feed where you became "friends" with Mardi Gras on FB. I wondered what ever happened to you! Hope all is well with you and yours! Where are you these days?

Can I just say, it's a BFD for me to have done that. So, hmm, we'll see if he answers back. I'll let you know. Of course it did say he was in a relationship, but it didn't say he was married ; 0

*Of course Mardi Gras and Virgin-taker are not there real names, nor nick-names either!

No comments:

Post a Comment