Sunday, March 28, 2010

Statistical Thinking

I personally know of three woman who have had babies at ages 44 and 45. Which, even though I'm older than that, at 46, still gives me a good feeling about what I'm dreaming into my life (two girls I went to high school with had babies at 42, but that's so young I don't even count them as being significant to my idea of what it means to beat "the odds").

First, my very own doctor got pregnant at 44 and had her baby at 45. She is now 48 with a rambunctious three year old boy and three daughter's - middle school through high school. She told me she just wanted one more child very badly and had had several miscarriages before she actually got pregnant with him, but it was all natural. So, when I initially brought up my dream of having a baby of my own (at that time I was 45) she couldn't have been more supportive.

The other mom gave birth to her son at 44 and he is one of my best, guy friends from high school. His mom is now 90. That does seem old, but she's doing fine.

And just the other night my niece was back in town and had brought a friend home with her. Before I had met the friend I had already heard that she came from a family of eleven children, ages 28 to six. After finally getting introduced to her, I subtly asked how old her mother was when she had her youngest sister and she told me that she was 44.

But just about everything I've read in researching pregnancy later in life had already made me believe that there are many woman that are able to get pregnant up to age 44, having the baby by age 45. It's after age 44 where things seem to go statistically downhill in having a successful pregnancy.

But when I find blogs like this one and this one it just makes me feel like, well, that's two people older than me and pregnant. And then the question that comes to my mind is: for every women over 46 and pregnant writing a blog about their experience (which I find fascinating and blessedly hopeful) how many are out there pregnant and not writing a blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment