Monday, December 5, 2011

Knocking on Doors

"Progress always involves risks. You can’t steal second base and keep your foot on first."
~ Frederick B. Wilcox

My dad always espoused to me, at various times, for various reasons, over the years, the old adage that you have to knock on ten doors (or knowing my dad, he probably said a 100 and I'm remembering it as ten!) to make one sale. I knocked on another door the other day. Once again I did not make the sale, but I also didn't get the door slammed in my face (it was shut gently)!

As I've said before, where I live, cute, single, intelligent, in-the-vicinity-of-forty-something guys are about as hard to come by as chop-sticks at a pizza parlor so, I've resorted to trying to find them in other places, which thanks to technology is less hard than one might think. And no, I'm not even talking about internet dating sites, I gave that a try and it didn't seem to produce anything better than I'm finding on my own by knocking on doors.

The most recent door I knocked on came about when I just happened to read something that a blogger I like posted a link to. I read what that guy wrote, liked his ideas, the things he thought about, and the way he expressed himself. His site had a photo of him and he looked cute so I sent an email:

Hi. I read your blog and strictly based on the views you expressed and your photo, I am intrigued by you. So, I guess I'm just sending you a note to find out if you are 1.) married, 2.) dating someone, or 3.) open to to meeting someone new - me!

I'm posting a link to a few little tidbits of information about me* and attaching a couple of photos of me with my BFF's and another one tailgating before an NFL season opener.

This feels like being blindfolded, shooting a three-pointer and calling bank, but hey, you never know if you can make that kinda shot until you let the ball leave your hand...

All the best,

L.

And unlike the last time I wrote someone I admired from afar, this guy wrote back!

Hi L. You just made my day! I’m flattered but also, alas, attached. Too bad since someone who likes _______, the NFL, basketball, and looks like you is a fantastic catch!

Best,

N.

You can say it's not much (and you probably are), but it's door knocking! I wrote him back and said if he knew of any cool guys, like himself, that were single and looking, to feel free to pass my information along.


Who knows how many doors I have to knock on before I get a yes, but I already have my next door in mind. I'll let you know when I knock and if anyone answers.


*I gave him a couple more tidbits of information than I'm giving you, like the college I graduated from and where I lived in the past. Do you remember, from and earlier post, when I decided to make my own "business" cards to hand out? Well, the "business" card I made has a web link to my "tidbit" information. So far, I've never seen a guy I wanted to pass the card out to, but I have sent the link to at least two interesting guys that I randomly found while reading about, or viewing topics, that intrigued me. So, knock, knock...

No comments:

Post a Comment