Friday, October 22, 2010

The Spin Cycle

I had my reconstructive knee surgery done eleven days ago. I finally got a shower nine days after the operation. Unlike my younger sister who, as an outdoor adventure travel leader, can seem to go weeks without a shower, to me it was one of the most blessed gifts to be given in a long time and I had two "angels" that helped me accomplish it.

For the fist few days, I was like, this is the: Worst. Pain. Ever. I couldn't do anything without help and what seemed like the sounds of my wailing and gnashing of teeth. Which led me to a thought. Having never had a baby I don't know what it feels like. It seems like so much of what I've heard is that it is the Worst. Pain. Ever. So, I guess when I was in the midst of my pain, trying to offer it up and "spin" it in any positive way I could, I thought: maybe this is just one more preparation for what's ahead for me; maybe the pain is just a training session for the pain that may come with delivering a baby (or babies), who knows? And maybe, I needed this operation done now because I need to be able to run after two year olds and there is no way I could be this laid up for this long with little ones in need of me. Like I said, who knows? I'm thinking like a dreamer thinks. Like a creative visionary - or at least that's how I'm gonna spin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment