Friday, April 16, 2010

Something Wonderful Happened... For Someone Else

My niece, who is twenty-six, just got engaged. My first thought upon hearing her good news was happiness for her. What an incredible feeling one must have watching the guy you are in love with get down on one knee, a diamond ring in hand, and the words, "Will you marry me?" come from his lips. If it's the real deal it will be the first and only time that scene will ever play out. Ah, what joy to experience a moment like that.

My second thought was a feeling of sadness for me.

There was a time, long ago, when I worked on visualizing things I wanted and one thing I really wanted was to be married. So I used to go through, in my minds-eye, a visualization of my wedding ceremony. I chose this song to be the processional for my bridesmaids. I'd listen to the song and visualize the girls walking down the aisle, flowers in hand, taking their place on the church's altar, awaiting my entrance. My niece and her sister were in the procession; my junior bridesmaids. They were twelve years old! And if that isn't enough my flower girl just got her driving learner's permit!

I guess I just experienced that pang of sadness for all the years that my dream has been in my heart and unrealized. I'm not sure what it's gonna take to get me where I want to be, but I know one thing for sure: I'm happy when other people get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment