Monday, December 29, 2014

Procedural

"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." ~ African Proverb

Well, when I went in to see my OBGYN a month or so ago to talk about what I needed to have done for the HSG procedure to work, he told me that he would dilate me to open my cervix and then I could schedule the HSG. So, we looked at the calendar of when I had my last period, figured out when I should have my next period and I booked an appointment for about six days after that.

The plan was that I would go into his office and he would dilate me then set up the HSG at the local hospital's radiology department for the next day. The only thing was, I didn't have my period. Cycle day 28, 29, 30, 31 came and went... I was on cycle day 36 without my period starting when I went into the OBGYN's to have the dilation. I didn't know what to do... I didn't want him to know that I wasn't having a "normal" cycle... mostly because I just didn't want to deal with any negativity... not that I was positive that he would have said anything to deflate my hopes, but I just didn't even want to take the chance. It was a quandary situation for me... tell the truth and have possible negative response to listen to, or just lie and see if he wasn't an observant enough OBGYN to know where I was in my cycle! lol! 

I went with the later. I lied. I told him I had my period six days prior to seeing him. He dilated me, everything went fine, and I was scheduled for the HSG the next afternoon. Oh, but I lied on top of the lie, too. I told him that I might (and gave some weird reason) not be able to make the HSG procedure the next afternoon. I then asked him how long the dilation would last if I were not able to have he procedure done as scheduled? He told me the dilation should last at least a week if not longer. I thought to ask that because I had decided - while in his waiting room - that I probably needed to take a pregnancy test just to be on the safe side before the HSG. Yeah, you read that right! A pregnancy test?

I mean, I absolutely felt like it would be pretty near close to an Immaculate Conception, but I thought since my period hadn't come and I had slept - note I did not say, had sex! - with a guy a few weeks prior I wasn't sure. Okay, and now you might be wondering, how could she NOT be sure?!!! 

Well, you see, what happened was, I went over to some Tinder guy's house (which I had never done before!) and hung (read: got really drunk playing alchy drinking games... and, yes, I am very immature!!!) with his roommate and another friend of theirs. I pretty much told the guys when I got there that if I drank much of anything I'd probably have to sleep on the couch because they lived too far for me to drive home and they were fine with that. 

I wasn't wanting to "hit" on any of them... and I really wasn't wanting any of them to "hit" on me... I just wanted to be hanging out with guys, doing things guys like to do... I'm a guys' type of girl! 

And it was pretty cool because we were having fun and I didn't feel like any of them were "into" me (remember they're like 23-24 years old!). I liked that. Im very good at being a guy's friend. I'm less good in "other" situations. But, like I said, I did get too drunk to drive home (damn! drinking games are hardcore!). And though, when I woke up in this guy's bed the next morning, I was fairly certain - like 99.5% certain - that we did not have sex, I couldn't positively, absolutely say a 100% because of my high alcohol consumption (go ahead, judge me all you want, I am what I am!). 

Yes, I felt fairly sure I would remember having sex, but I didn't remember calling my mom to tell her I wouldn't be home (remember I live with my mom!) - the guy reminded me I did that - so... that definitely made me feel like anything was possible! And no, or yes, I did not have my clothes on... (ugh, this is torture... I should skip over writing stuff like this!) when I woke up next to him. But my point is, .5% of me felt like I needed to be the rest of the 95.5% sure.*

So, the next morning - the day of my HSG - I took the pregnancy test. It said exactly what I thought it would say to someone in my situation... not named Virgin Mary, "No." 

Later that day I got ready for my HSG - taking the pain med an hour before - went to the bathroom before leaving my house, and surprise, my period had started. I called the hospital to cancel the procedure and re-scheduled it for a week later. 

I finally had the HSG done, it was no big deal, and everything was in perfect condition... and I suppose they cleaned out my "pipes" in the process. 

But I do wonder if my OBGYN could tell I was lying. Like, could he tell when he was doing the dilation procedure that it seemed as if I were about to start my period? I'm still wondering about that!

And, if you should be wondering, no, I haven't done one fun guy thing since that night... which has now been like a month-and-a-half ago... I hardly ever do anything anytime! 

*And, as a side note: my OV watch quit working so I had no idea where I was in my cycle when I didn't have sex that night... like, none. The biggest symptoms for me of ovulation happening are not, tender breasts or stringy cervical fluid - if I had to judge my ovulation by those symptoms I'd never know when I did! - but by whether I'm horny or not. That's all I could go by: horny, not horny. And that night I wasn't horny! TMI? : )

No comments:

Post a Comment