Monday, July 7, 2014

Doors to the Sea

"When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us." ~ Alexander Graham Bell

I had a conversation tonight with my sister. I'm not sure how we got to talking about it, but she had told me that when she was in high school she had been awful to a lot of guys. I asked what kind of awful? Like leaving them? Yes that, she said, and leaving them with other girls... just all kinds of hurtful things, she added. 

I told her that I couldn't think of any guy that I had ever hurt (although I didn't date in high school or college so that may have excluded some drama!). I wondered why, when I had never hurt any guy,  had so many hurt me? And as I thought on it, I was just feeling how unfair that seemed. To be good to people who, in the end, weren't good to me.

Then, not ten minutes after we had had that conversation, I looked at what was going on with Snapchat. And I saw that a guy I really liked deleted me from it with no apparent reason. It made me feel sad. He was basically the only reason I was using Snapchat. To have other Snapchat friends view my "stories" was good, but to have this guy I liked view them just made me feel that it was all worthwhile; it told me he thought I was interesting and that he was still interested in me.

I had to tell my sister what had just happened since only moments before I had told her how I never had hurt guys but they seemed to hurt me. My sister said, "There are a lot of other fish in the sea." And all I could say was, "Then I need to get closer to a sea!"

No comments:

Post a Comment