Thursday, November 10, 2011

Driver's Seat

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. "
~ Leonard da Vinci


I've been catching myself (more than even usual) wanting to control things; have them my way. For instance, I just finished having my period - it came on day twenty-four when normal for me, over the past few years, has been on day twenty-six . So, I'll hear myself say, "I need to have my periods not come so early. Or, this time it was pretty light, and I'll tell myself that there needs to be stronger blood flow. I could go on, but the gist is that, I know I can only control what is in my power to control, and I'm doing that, to the best of my ability.

So, every time I get these thoughts that come into my head, that this is what I need, or, this is how it should be, I've started picturing myself in the driver's seat (yay, it's some kind of cool sports car!), pulling over and parking. I unlock the door, get out, walk around the back, heading to the passenger side and the door (magically) opens and I slide in.

As I'm putting my seat belt on, I see the driver-side door open and I envision God getting in (I don't picture anything - just feel The Presence). The engine kinda gives a rev and we are off. And because it's the kind of sports car that has power behind it, I kinda just get pushed back into my seat.

It's a straight road and my driver lets the power of the car put us in some serious forward motion until, in my mind's eye I see this car actually take flight; as if it were some sort of new-age plane on the runway just getting airborne.

And the first thing I notice is, that it feels like we are traveling fast, and yet, it feels slow too.

It's deep darkness now with the light of stars showing planets and astroids, and whatever else is out there, that we are passing by. And I just have the feeling of being safe, but more importantly, happy - that I don't have to concentrate on driving; that I am now free to look around and enjoy and experience things I've never seen. I'm not sure I even feel a destination, just that the driver has set His course and I'm along for an amazing ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment