Saturday, January 9, 2016

My Policy is to Hope

"Hope lies in dreams, in imagination, and in the courage of those who dare to make dreams into reality." ~ Jonas Salk

This past Wednesday I had another procedure done at the hospital; I'm still trying to figure out what is causing my severe, chronic nausea. But the reason I'm writing about my procedure is because I found the admittance process to be different than it was a year ago when I was last there.

This time, when the nurse came in to do my evaluation, check vitals, etc. she just simply told me I needed to give a urine sample to make sure I wasn't pregnant. That was a HUGE difference from previous times being admitted to this hospital. 

Previously, the nurse would ask for the date of my last period. This time they didn't even bother asking anything at all about whether or not I was still having periods, or if I was menopausal, or anything of that nature... all they cared about was getting the urine sample and making sure it came back negative!

I found this new hospital policy to be very hopeful to any older women who are trying to get pregnant, for, to me, at least, it seems clear that something is going on, some place, and most likely in that hospital group, wherein being 52 is in no way a reason FOR NOT CHECKING FOR PREGNANCY! 

I actually have the feeling that even had I been 54 their policy would still be to do a urine check for pregnancy before allowing a procedure.

So, yeah, I think there is a definite message to all of this, and that is: that some woman/women are 52 - or even older! - and they were found - surprising as it may have been to them, AND the hospital! - to be pregnant. A hospital doesn't just whimsically make hospital policy without there having been a precedent set for needing to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment