Thursday, March 20, 2014

Taking Flight

“If we worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true really is true, then there would be little hope for advance.” ~ Orville Wright

So, as you know, several of my last few blog posts were about randomly hearing stories of women who, later in life, had babies. The people who were telling me the stories had no idea I had any vested interested in what exactly they were telling me, i.e., that I want to have children now, at such a late age, so they didn't know what they were telling me was way more important to me than they knew.

However, my sister does know I want to have a biological child of my own now, at age 50, or even later if it should take longer. So, when she dropped by the other day she had to tell me of a something that happened in her biology class that she thought I would be interested in hearing.

My sister teaches biology at one of the public high schools in our town. She told me that in her classes, for the past two weeks, she had been talking about genetics. She said that she began telling the class about amniocentesis. She told her students the procedure was normally done on high risk pregnancies, especially she said, if the woman was over 40.

When she told her students that, about the high risk pregnancy aspect that can come with a woman over 40 having a baby, a boy in the class told her that his mom was 50 when she had him.

She thought that I would be excited to hear that information. And I was. I was extremely excited and thought it was a fantastic piece of news to hear. It felt like another sign had just been given to me.

But I wanted to know more about this boy's mom's pregnancy and so I asked my sister, if she would be willing to inquire of him if he was conceived naturally, or by IVF? And if his mom had used her own eggs or donor eggs? I mean, having a baby at age 50 is awesome, but there's a huge difference between all the variables.

So, today she said she asked him if his mom had him under natural conditions? I think she used the words, "were you born normally?" And my sister told me that the boy confirmed to her that, yes, he was a natural baby.

I'm going to take the kid at his word. I mean, in this day and age, most parents are pretty up front about things that relate to anything that might be biologically significant for their child to know, especially when their as old as fourteen or fifteen, like the kids in my sister's classes are.

So, yeah, like I said, I take whatever signs I can get, whenever I can get them, and this one came just as out of the blue as the others.

It was a good sign day...

No comments:

Post a Comment